WHAT IS STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE?
- Most schools require that students have health insurance. Most colleges and universities offer a campus health policy or it can be waivered if you currently have health insurance through your family plan or as a dependent of a covered parent or guardian.
- Student health plans often cover check-ups, prescription drugs, and require that you visit the school’s health center, student clinic, or school specialist to receive the lowest co-pay. Premiums are often part of your tuition and fees. Uncovered students who want to have a more flexible policy can purchase their own insurance and waive the mandatory fee levied by their college or university.
WHAT IS AVAILABLE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS?
- The U.S. Department of State requires international students with J-1 exchange visitor visas to have student health insurance. Students with F-1 and M-1 are not required to have student health insurance. Often mandatory health insurance from your school will cover basic medical care and prescription drugs, but if you would like more comprehensive student health coverage, you might want to look into other plans. For more information go to International Medical Insurance in this website.
HOW CAN DAN BURGHARDT HELP?
- Our Life and Health Department can get you connected to top student health insurance carriers in the country and let you choose the one that best fits your needs and budgets.
- In addition to online health quotes, our agent can get quotes directly from top companies, including Aetna, Assurant, Blue Cross, Celtic, Cigna, Fortis, Humana, Time, United Health Care, Vista Health Plans, and many others.
- Other options available are Individual Health Plans, HMOs, PPOs, Short-Term Medical Plans, and Major Medical Plans, offered by the same carriers as mentioned above that give you instant access to thousands of local doctors and hospital networks.