In-Home Business Insurance
What is In-Home Business Insurance?
- Twenty-five million Americans, more than ever before, are choosing to open a home-based business. With the growth of internet, owning an in-home business is a lot easier. But, with lawsuits on the rise for simple accidents, fire and weather hazards, as well as increases in robberies and theft, many small businesses, and particularly small home-based businesses, do not have the proper insurance coverage.
- If you are operating a business out of your home, apartment, or condominium, the Dan Burghardt In-Home Business Insurance Program is tailor-made to cover the financial dangers created by the risks to your business listed above. It is a custom-written package of coverages specially designed to address the unique insurance needs of a successful home-based entrepreneur like you!
- It’s never been easier or more affordable to reduce your risk! — If you don’t want to take a chance on losing everything you have worked for, you need to consider the advantages that this policy has to offer. Because when you think about it, all of the things that can happen to your home could also happen to your home-based business – and many, many more that your personal insurance will not cover!
Why do I need In-Home Business Coverage?
- A customer slips and falls on your premises, injures herself, and sues you.
- You return home to discover your house–and your office–are in flames.
- While at a trade show, your inventory is stolen from the back of your van.
- Damage to your inventory or your customers’ goods, theft coverage, medical payments to those injured on your premises, and liability protection. You can obtain coverage for all of this and more, for a lot less than you think.
Will my Homeowners policy cover this? Probably not
What does an In-Home Business Policy cover?
- Your business property will be covered at 100% of its replacement value (some exceptions apply to certain businesses and types of property), up to $100,000, both on and while temporarily off the premises.
- A secondary location such as a storage facility is also covered.
- Standard $250.00 deductible.
- Coverages for electronic data processing equipment, money and securities, additional insureds, terrorism, garage-keepers and identity fraud expense are available as an option.
- $300,000 to $1,000,000 in general liability protection, whether conducting business at the office or at another location. Our coverage satisfies the requirements of most events and shows.
- Up to $5,000 per person for immediate medical payments to anyone injured on your premises.
- May include coverage for the loss of your business income due to the loss of business personal property (includes inventory, furnishings, or equipment). Loss of business income because damage to your home is not covered.
- Includes a business operated out of a separate garage or building, located within 100 feet of the dwelling at which the business resides.
Is it affordable?
- Absolutely! For as little as $150, you can purchase this outstanding protection for your home business.
- Don’t let an accident destroy your business. With comprehensive, low-cost In-Home Business Insurance, you can relax, knowing you and your business are protected.
- Call (504) 441-7283 to discover how affordable coverage can be.
- Don’t let the low cost of this important coverage question its value. Coverage is written through a leading nationwide insurer focusing on in-home business policies. The excellence of their performance compared to the industry’s norm, combined with their ability to meet policyholders’ obligations, have earned them an AM Best top rating of A+.
- See our list of eligible in-home businesses to see if yours qualifies.
Is there a specific amount of business property coverage I should carry?
Yes. The amount of insurance for business property you carry should equal 100% of the cost to replace it (even if covered on an Actual Cash Value basis — rates are adjusted for the reduced coverage). Only you, as the owner of your business, can determine exactly how much coverage you need. However, one of our agents will be happy to assist by explaining exactly what is covered, and how replacement cost is calculated.
Is a business operated out of my garage or a detached building eligible?
Yes. A business operated out of the garage, including a detached garage or building, is eligible if it is located within 100 feet of the dwelling at which the business is located.
Is business property stored in a warehouse or on a sale at a craft consignment shop covered?
Yes. $1,000 of business property off-premises coverage is automatically included in the policy. Coverage applies to covered property, other than money and securities, while it is in course of transit or temporarily stored at a premises you do not own, lease, or operate. The $1,000 limit may be increased for a small additional cost.
Are the structure of my home or my personal items covered under this policy?
No. Coverage is intended for business property and business pursuits only. A homeowners policy or renters policy is still needed for the dwelling and/or occupants’ personal property.