New Orleans & Metairie Motorcycle Insurance
Be Insured In Minutes – No Office Visit Required!
Basic Motorcycle Insurance, required by law, is the specific insurance that covers the legal liabilities arising from the use of a motorcycle. In Louisiana, you must have an insurance policy that covers a minimum of 15/30/25 liability coverage to register and operate a motorcycle on the public roads and streets. Like car insurance, higher liability limits and more complete coverages are available.
You can buy additional coverages like Uninsured Motorists, Medical Payments, Comprehensive, Collision, Breakdown, Towing, and even cover your custom equipment or custom-buit bike.
One of the biggest mistakes people make about motorcycle insurance is thinking that they do not need to carry higher limits because motorcycles are so small and light, they cause little damage in an accident. This is true in most cases where the accident is between a motorcycle and a car, truck, van, or some other object like a sign or building. What is not thought of is if the accident is with another motorcycle (which is more common than people think), a pedestrian, or, what is most common, injuries to the person riding with you. When these things happen the damage and injuries can be very bad and costly, and your 15/30/25 limits will probably not be nearly enough to cover them. Can you afford to pay the difference?
Why Buy Motorcycle Insurance from Dan Burghardt Insurance?
- It is important to take a close look at all the options that are available on motorcycle policies. We will review your coverages and shop your price with Progressive, America’s Number One Motorcycle Insurer, as well as several other carriers including: Markel, Foremost, Hull & Co. Underwriters, and other competitive markets to get you the best price and coverage combination that fits your individual needs
- We offer multiple payment options, including pay-in-full, EFT, and monthly billing by mail. In most cases, paying the full amount or choosing the EFT option will even save you money!
- We can insure just about anything:
3. bikes with up to $40,000 in custom equipment
4. customized and modified motorcycles
5. completely custom built bikes and choppers
6. rebuilt, re-titled, and salvaged motorcycles
7. All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), including 3- and 4-wheelers
8. even dirt bikes
- We insure Classic and Collectible Bikes. American Collectors Insurance Company is now offering coverage to collectors of antique and classic motorcycles, including Harleys, Indians, Triumphs, etc. Please Note: Liability is not available as a stand-alone coverage on collectible and classic motorcycles; you must purchase some physical damage coverage and the bike must be at least 20 years old to qualify. Mileage restrictions apply.
Call 504-441-RATE (7283) or complete the quote request form to see if you qualify.
What’s Covered By Motorcycle Insurance?
- If you are a motorcycle enthusiast you’ve got a lot to look out for, especially the right Motorcycle Coverage. The danger and risks of riding motorcycles, along with the ease of vandalism and theft is hard to get around. Any time you’re on the road, there is a huge chance that you or a passenger could be injured. One of the most important things you can do is to make sure that your motorcycle is fully insured, to pay medical bills and property damage.
- Medical Payments cover reasonable and necessary medical expenses that are the result of any injury to you or a passenger while riding, using, getting on or off, sitting on, or in any other way related to a motorcycle, regardless of who is at fault. Example: Ambulance, hospital emergency room and other expenses, including x-ray, dental, and surgery. This coverage is highly recommended whether or not have any health coverage because there is no deductible!
- Liability Coverage, available from the state minimum of 15/30/25 to 250/500/50, pays if you are at fault in a crash or hit a pedestrian. This coverage pays for injuries and/or death to all involved except the driver. This coverage also extends to your guest passenger on your motorcycle, giving you added protection from lawsuits. Damage to property includes vehicles, private residence, store-fronts, other structures, etc. is covered as well, up to the limits you purchase.
- Collision always means damage to your motorcycle, including impact with vehicles, motorcycles, trees, buildings, or simply a spill, fall, or hit-and-run; in these situations, your deductible applies. Ask for higher deductibles, especially males under 25 years old to lower your rates.
- Comprehensive covers damage caused by events other than collision, including flooding, vandalism, fire, and theft. Theft coverage is one which most motorcycle owners are very concerned about, and can be bought without collision at a lower overall price. You may even want to purchase Uninsured Motorists Property Damage, discussed below, to substitute for Collision on older or less valuable bikes.
- Higher deductibles for comprehensive and collision lower your rate substantially. Uninsured Motorists Coverage in a not-at-fault accident pays when the other party has no coverage or not enough for injuries to you and your passenger. Limits available from state minimum to 250/500 but not to exceed your liability coverage. Coverage also applies, if a hit-and-run driver injures you.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) pays you for damages caused by an uninsured driver or hit-and-run driver. The maximum available is $10,000. If collision coverage is too high, you may wish to use UMPD as a substitute for collision as long as there is no lien holder.
- Roadside Assistance & Towing and Rental is very inexpensive to add, so do it! When quoting Progressive, mention they are America’s Number One insurer of motorcycles with 24-hour round-the-clock claim service and immediate response to your roadside assistance needs.
Do I Need To Wear A Helmet?
Louisiana Motorcycle Law Revised Statute 32:190 states that no person shall operate or ride any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle unless the person is equipped with and is wearing on the head a safety helmet of the type and design manufactured for use by operators of such vehicles, which shall be secured properly with a chin strap while the vehicle is in motion. All such safety helmets shall consist of lining, padding, visor, and chin strap and shall meet such other specifications as shall be established by the commissioner.
What Other Services, Discounts, And Coverages Are Available?
- Competitive Title Transfers
- Discounts on Motorcycle/Renter/Homeowner/Auto Insurance Packages
- Personal Umbrella
- Affordable Life/Health/Dental especially with the danger involved in riding motorcycles
Have you taken a close look at the options available on your motorcycle policy?
Call us now at (504) 441-RATE (7283) or request a review of your current policy or a quote on a new policy. And, when you find out what you’ve been missing, we can start your new coverage immediately—we sell Motorcycle Insurance over the phone!
- Registration, title, or current bill of sale
- Driver’s License with Motorcycle Endorsement for all owners and operators
- Social Security Number for all owners and operators
- Pictures may be required for physical damage
- Copy of any accident report where you were not At-Fault
- Copy of your previous insurance policy – required for the previous coverage discount to apply
- Driver’s training certificate, if applicable